I don't know everything there is to know about anything - especially teaching!
Everyday I walk out of the classroom, I reflect on what I have learned and think....
How can this experience in the classroom today make me a better teacher? It seems to me if I am a better teacher, my students will learn more, will be more likely to meet their potential.
For you guys just beginning your practicums, I realize that going into a classroom for the first time with no experience can be a little intimidating. BUT...you work, you teach, you learn, you reflect, you grow, you do it again the next time. And the next time, you are a little more comfortable in the classroom, with the students, with your duties. One day you realize - hey, I can do this...I'm not having to look at my notes, I'm answering kid's questions..doin' pretty good here. Think about the process. "It's all about the process." I heard those very words from one of my professors many, many times. Now I'm passing them on to you.
As you leave this class this semester and prepare for your last two semesters, I want you to know that the next semesters will bring challenges....you may wonder why people are expecting so much out of you. Here's why...It's the process. We want you to be the BEST teacher you can be. If that means rewriting a lesson plan three times to "get it flowing and making sense" that's what you need to do. Mediocre is not acceptable for teachers molding the minds of our young children. So next semester when Dr. Ridgley and I write all of those notes on your plans, ask all of those questions that really push your limits, ask you to reflect and think of alternatives ..... there's a reason. Think of us as coaches that are constantly pushing the team to practice, get better, always play the next game better.....continue to improve. We want to send you out of here knowing that #1 - you know what is developmentally appropriate for kids - you have the knowledge #2 - you know how to apply the knowledge you have #3 - you will be a reflective teacher #4 - and by being that reflective teacher, you will continue to improve your skills and strive to strengthen your teaching strategies #5 - and be better able to guide and support your students to learn more, to meet their potential.
It's all about the process. If it were the product, you would get to a particular point and stop. I encourage you to continue in the process, continue to grow, continue to learn as you teach, continue to reflect, continue to be excited about your successes and what you do. And pass it on.....it's the process.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very good read, doctor. Thanks for the opportunity. This is really good for future teachers, me thinks.
ReplyDeleteAs someone who just finished studnet teaching, I enjoyed reading your thoughts and take them to heart.
ReplyDeleteOh, it is student teaching-- not studnet.
ReplyDeleteSo much for reflecting. :)
process, not product. important contrast. thanks.
ReplyDelete