Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Chuck's Memory of his First Mountain Visit

So here is the story - the memory from my Uncle Chuck. For a little background information, he was in the Navy. My Aunt Clema had been living in Corpus Christi with her older sister. This is the story, as Chuck tells it, of his first visit to Harrison Ferry Mountain.

"I am setting here trying to remember my first trip out on the mountain top. Clema had come home for the summer. We were by then engaged to be married. I was in Corpus Christi, and I took leave to go meet Clema's family. I went in to Dickson where my folks lived and picked up the new red Nash Rambler dad had bought and headed for McMinnville. This was new territory for me, for sure. I think Clema was at home. Somehow, I was given good directions to get up there. I remember the winding road, climbing the mountain. Somehow, I guess I got to the house. Beyond that, I don't remember the arrival, but it must have been an exciting time. One of the nights there, maybe the first, we went off down to visit with Helen and Rodean, and you and Joe, I guess. I remember sitting around the kitchen table there, chatting and drinking (coffee) I suppose. I remember coming back up the mountain at bed time. I remember that we "parked" by some tower along the way after we got on top of the mountain for a little "smooching." I remember having supper, probably different night, and sitting down at the table and hitting it with my knees and knocking milk glasses over. And I remember not being hated for that. ha. So, that is my insert for memories. That would have been in the summer of 1962."

Thanks, Chuck, for sharing this memory.

1 comment:

  1. Came out looking pretty good, if I do say so myself, Cher.

    ReplyDelete