It was my pleasure to host a student teacher recognition night for the student teachers in the Early Childhood Education program at MTSU. Students brought their families and a few of them brought their cooperating teacher.
At the beginning of the semester I had the opportunity to meet with these students and introduce them to their University Supervisors. At that time the students told me they were nervous about student teaching, anxious, or for many of them not very confident in their skills. When I looked out on the audience on the night of the recognition, they were all smiles! They succeeded! It was my job (or so I thought) to offer a few words of congratulations and inspiration. Well, it was the last time I would have them as an audience and I thought I should make the best of it.
It went something like this......
I'm so happy to welcome you here tonight. To these young ladies, this is your last hurrah as a student, let me be among the first to congratulate you. To the other members of the audience, your presence and support of these young ladies is so much appreciated - not only tonight, but throughout their career as a student. They are here because of their hard work, but also because of your support that made it possible. We are all where we are today because of the support we have had from those who care about us.
Before we being the recogniton, I want to make a few introductions. At this point I introduced the MTSU faculty, University Supervisors, Cooperating teachers and thanked them for being there. I also acknowledged Jamie and Joey who were a tremendous help that night and at the time were in the kitchen cleaning up from our light refreshments.
Next, each supervisor presented each of their student teachers with a certificate and gave a word or two about that student's successes. After all students were recognized, I made these closing remarks.
I want to share with you tonight a very special story. How many of you noticed the statement that I had written on the board earlier in the night? (The statement read, "Her name was Carylene McClendon.") Several hands raised. Tonight I'm going to tell you about Carylene McClendon. I only learned about her a few weeks ago myself, and before I tell you about her I will tell you how I know the story. At this point I gave brief information about how my cousin wrote this entry in her blog. It's funny how you can think you know someone, and then you hear a story about them and you realize you only know a little of that person's history.
At this point I read Carylene's blog post - word for word. I have to admit that it is very difficult for me to get through without crying. I feel my voice shake at times and when I look at the audience, they are hanging on to every word.
Then I finish with these closing remarks,
You may never know what a difference you make in someone's life or the lives of future generations. I'm sure Carylene McClendon had no idea when she had that little boy in first grade how his perception of learning would change. You will have students come to you from happy homes where families recognize the importance of education and you will have children who come to you from empty homes with empty refrigerators and empty promises and you will have children from all levels inbetween. They will come to you daily from all walks of live - arriving in your classroom expecting to be safe, fed, educated, and assisted in realizing their dreams. You will take them all and love them all and teach them all - because that is who you are.
Eleanor Roosevelt said, "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." I believe with all my heart that YOU are the person, the teacher that can make or break a child's day and ultimately impact their future.
I will not be one bit surprised to hear stories about the great things you do in your classrooms and the positive difference you make in the lives of children, one day at a time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cher, you are a good leader. I would love to sit in your audience some time!
ReplyDeletecher, nice post. true about never knowing what kind of impact a teacher makes on students. A good teacher, one who actually teaches, can make such a difference in a grade or a class. 2 of my 3 little ones have had the same 3rd grade teacher, Miss. Ramirez. Hopefully Jack will get her next year. Even though she isn't one of my kid's teachers this year, we always give her little gifts at gift giving time... i.e. Christmas, Valentines, etc. Because she was such a fun teacher and they loved her. :)
ReplyDeleteAww... very sweet. I'd love to be in your audience too.
ReplyDelete